Sunday 6 December 2015

The Sugar Free Dessert Challenge : Karachi Halwa

I am a real foodie..and when you talk about sweets..I simply can not resist them..If you ask me about my favorite sweet dish, I really won't be able to name one..Right from sheer khurma by my Ammi during Eid to Gulab Jamun.. Right from shahee tukda that we usually have for iftaar to caramel custards and sizzling brownies..everything is really mouth watering..

I have always enjoyed helping out Ammi when she cooks..I know how to make most of the sweet dishes..I love eating them all, but there is one sweet dish that I simply adore only because of the way it looks, the way it glitters and shines and its different shapes and sizes..Yes, the title says it all. I am talking about Karachi Halwa..

Karachi Halwa is traditionally made in orange, red, saffron or yellow color. My favorite color is yellow, so when I make it, it has to be a bright yellow colored Karachi Halwa only.

Without much ado, let's begin with the recipe.

Ingredients :-

Corn flour : half cup
Sugar Free : One and a half cups
Water : Two and a half cups
Ghee : one-fourth cup
Cashew nuts : one-fourth cup
Cardamom Powder
Soaked almonds (optional)
A pinch of food color (yellow color for my recipe :-D)

[Note : The cashew nuts must be finely chopped and the soaked almonds must be peeled off and finely crushed/chopped. ]

Method :

1. Take corn fluor and one and a half cups of water in a bowl and mix both of them. Whip them continuously and make sure that there are no lumps in the mixture at all.

2. Add food color to the whipped mixture of corn fluor and water and keep them aside.

3. Take a non stick pan and saute the finely chopped cashew nuts/soaked almonds in two tablespoons of oil till they become light brown. Keep them aside.

4. Now its time to prepare my favorite part- chaashni. For preparing chaashni, take sugar free and one cup of water in a non stick pan and boil it till the sugar free completely dissolves and the mixture becomes sticky enough.

5. Add the cornflour mixture to the chaashni and start stirring continuously on low flame. Once again, make sure that no lumps are formed.

6. It will start thickening and having a glossy texture. Just when you notice the thick halwa like texture, add ghee and stir again.

7. Once it starts to leave the sides of the pan, add cashew nuts and almonds that were kept aside.

8. Take a plate and grease it with ghee. Add this mixture to the plate and let it set itself. This will take between half an hour to one hour.

9. You can finally cut it into any desired shape. My favorite shape is the heart shape, which may look like a difficult shape, but looks really classy and presentable.

And our Karachi Halwa is ready!! Take a look!

Hope you enjoyed the recipe.

Thanks to sugar free, we can now enjoy all our favorite sweet dishes. Do check out this link for more details.

Next post soon
Ahmad

No comments:

Post a Comment